Saturday, December 9, 2006

Prejudice


I am prejudice I can admit it. I pre judge people based on what kind of car they drive. Certain bumper stickers make me think certain things. If you have a roxy sticker on your car, you know the ones, the pink window decals, I will assume that you are a hot surfer chick. I will pull up alomgside you to confirm my prejudices, being worng most of the time does nothing to assuage my judgments. Just the other day I thought that a hot surfer chick would be driving this black rav 4, I shouldn't have been surprised that it was a 45 year old mother with short graying hair. I gave her the hang loose sign anyways before speeding off. Her daughter must be hot I said to myself.
The hot girl car of my high school days was probably a acura integra or a new honda civic. For some reason, maybe it's the wealth of attractive people, all of the daughters get new cars in high school. The honda or the acura seemed to be the correct car for my target audience. It wasn't as bougie as a beamer, nobody had their own benz, it was the approachable hot girl's car. Later I liked jetta girls, kinda classy, the new in car. Mustang girls have a little more fisetyness, the more horsepower the more fiestyness. At least that sounds like a reasonable equation. SUV drivers can be hot, usually because they are snowboarders and snowboard chicks much like surfer chicks are hot. I used to work in a shop that sold roxy clothes and the tags always had hot surfer chick models so maybe that's where my prejudice comes from. A lot of the girls that bought Roxy were hot too, so there is a small splinter of evidence to support my beliefs.
People in junkers usually aren't hot. It could be a representation of their economic status, their unwillingness to play these social and materialistic games, or it could be a representation of their laisefaire attitude towards all things. It just becomes part of your image, when you see an old clunker rambling down the street, say it's an 88 oldsmobile with rust spots on the roof, do you think to yourself I bet that driver is attractive? Am I the only one who thinks about the attractiveness of the other drivers on the road? First off oldsmobile in itself is bad, unless it goes back to the 50-60's just look at the name. It is a mobile for old people, nobody my age wants to buy one, my grandpa loves them but he is like 90 or something, he qualifys as old, therefore he is able to purchase the mobile made especially for his kind.
When I see scions I think douche in a box. I think you are caught up in trying to be on the outskirts of society, trying to seem hip and edgy. The commercials were trying to hard to reach my audience, I went to a hip hop film festival that was sponsered by them. They gave out free hats and magazines filled with ads for their shitty boxes on wheels. They hired graffitti artists and videogame designers to create custom scions. Having someone respected by the target audience customize a piece of shit does not make the piece of shit tight. It only lowers the amount of respect that was once had for said poopy sculpter/customizer. Like when PSP tried to use grafitti as an advertising technique, not only were they harrassed by people who disliked grafitti for vandalizing their stores, they were also despised by grafitti artists who were upset by the use of their underground art in a commercial way. Granted you want to slip in with the underground group, they are what is hot right now, or better yet they are what will be hot. If you can get them to like their product then other people will like it. But you can't do that with commercials and commercial stuff. The undergorund exists because it is the antithesis of the mainstream, once something becaomes mainstream, the underground moves on. THings have to grow in the underground, they mature and the begin to bubble beneath the surface of the mainstream, then when people on the top level get a whiff of it, it bursts through and becomes uncool, ok maybe not uncool but there is something about having the same musical tastes as a 12 year old mtv viewer that makes me feel kinda icky. I thought I was talking about cars.
Saturns are ugly, they make me think of suburbia. There shape disgusts me. I know a couple people who drive saturns three girls that I know have them. They are all hot too, but jebus that has got to be one of the ugliest designs for a car I have ever seen. Not as bad as the number one stunner of ugly cars, the aztek. But thank god, because, those have gone the way of the dodo bird, or any semblance of hotness that Britney Spears once had.
People who drive beetles have quirky personalities. They want to be urban hippies or suburban princesses in toy cars. Girls in old beetles can be hot, rolling down the street in a car that can't maintain the forces of a strong gust of wind, with an exposed motor that spews exhaust and rumbles up to stop lights, that's kinda hot....maybe not. I don't look in minivans when i drive by them, the same goes for mercurys, ugly car design, ugly people. I don't like infinitys but audi's are kinda hot. Makes me think of snootyness though especially a girl in a TT, A4 or A8 those are possibilities but they are probably to rich to bother with.
I hope all people don't think like me, because my old car was a piece of shit. It was an 88 honda civic, it had vans shoes stickers on it and ska bands. The antenna was broken, one speaker was blown and the seats were cracked from the sun. My brother rammed it into his friends car when he was a sophmore so by the time I got it, the car's hood was tied down with bungee cords, somebody stole our honda sign and the bumper had to be reattached because of another accident. Two times on the freeway the bungee cords snapped and the hood flew up and smashed the windshield. The car had dents and dings from years of two young drivers. I never relied on my car to impress people, and I didn't really know if others judged me when I was driving but what can you do anyways, who cares right?
It is only natural for people to assume things about you from the car you drive. Especially if you have bumper stickers, I see ones for Bush and Cheney and I think moron, I see Kerry and Edwards I think losers. I see one that says, "I love cats...they're delicious" and I think gothic. I see "Back off I am Grumpy" and I say stressed out mom. "Keep Honking I'm reloading" Where is your Bush and Cheney sticker? "NRA" scary, darwin fish I think sensible. Religous ones make me scared, like I wouldn't want to know you scared. It's not unreasonable to base my opinion of these people on their opinions which they have slapped on their rides. I know it is not a complete picture but it says something, except for that one that said Latin Princess and it was a white guy in a tercel. Still if it is your car and you choose to put stickers on it then you are trying to represent yourself, you are asking to be judged or to have a reaction. Just don't put a roxy sticker on your car if you're not hot.
One time my brother told me that looking at a hot girl releases the same chemicals into your brain as drugs. I don't know what drugs but he was talking about some sort of chemical reaction that hotties induced. He used this as a reason why when you glance over at a car you think the girl is hot, because you want to trick your brain into releasing these chemicals, whatever they are. I will call them hottie juices. So the glance at the car makes you form this hottie image so hottie juices can be released, so you can get your fix. This all makes perfect sense to me because second glances can be quite a different thing compared to the first glance. Uopn closer examination subject a is deemed non-hottie, she is de-commisoned and will now be listed in the c group of hottiness. This is always followed by the acceleration of the car and the seperation from said c-level hottie, which isn't even a hottie but a grossie? grossy? Anyways that could be another reason that I prejudge people in their cars, I also base assumptions about people on how they drive my hatred for most other driving styles besides my own is intense and completly reasonable. Just ask anyone who has gone on a roadtrip with me. "If nine cars have passed you then you shouldn't be in the fast lane." "If I am coming up on your ass at 110 and you are driving 65 you should move over." "If you kept some space between you and the next car you wouldn't have to brake every three seconds." "If you realized that the person in front of you was a moron who didn't need to be braking every three seconds then you don't have to brake either." This goes with my theory about traffic being caused by people who brake for no reason which leads to other people to brake for no reason and it is a chain reaction. "People who can't see out their back windows, say they are towing a mobile home and a fleet of bikes should not be in the fast lane." "People in the fast lane should drive faster than people that are not in the fastlane, not slower, and definitly not the same speed." "When there is a carpool lane the lane next to it is the fast lane, if I am not carpooling and I want to speed you should realize that you are in the fast lane for non-car poolers." "When merging onto a freeway or highway it is a good idea to accelerate to a speed that would be equivalent to the speed of the traffic you are about to jump in front of." "Get a smog test, exhaust is gross, especially when i am stuck behind you in traffic." "Slowing down when you see a CHP that has already pulled someone over is not really neccessary, they are unlikely to run to their radio and report you while they are writing up somebody else." "Looking at accidents is not good, it is not good for traffic, it is kinda gross and says bad things about a blood and gore thirsty society, and if you really like that kinda stuff there is way better clips on the internet, and I don't have to wait an extra 2 hours to get home because somebody on the otherside of the freeway crashed their car and you would like to get a glimpse of who knows what, yeah what are you looking for, blood? body parts? crying children mourning their parents? Someone you know, I just want to know who the first person to stop is, who just slows down and ssays ooooh that one looks bad. Because this person creates a crawling traffic that gives everyone the oppurtunity to gawk and roll by slowly, I hate this person whoever you are." There is a thing in my area called the causeway, it is basically a bridge over rice fields that conncets Sacramento to Davis. For some reason when people get on the causeway they always slow down and the traffic backs up forever. The road doesn't change, the lanes are the same size, there is no added danger, for the life of us we can not figure out why the causway causes people to drive so slowly. Is it the beautiful scenery? The threat of being over water? The false sense of smaller lanes because of the walls? Somebody needs to aske everybody why they drive so slowly across this thing, shoot I speed up cops can't hide on that thing just giddy up, you'll be fine. "Don't drive crown victorias or security cars on the freeways, you look like a cop and you know it....assholes." "Hummers aren't necessary on freeways or highways, they are actually a dumb idea to drive long distances, don't they just guzzle gas and not get you very far?" "The city of davis bought a police truck, why? Is it to help other officers move? Where do you out people you arrest? "Is it necessary for those high speed chaes into the corn fields or the non hilly davis streets. Is it a complete waste of money with bad gas mileage and very little use? Does it just haul stolen bikes and deputies jet skis on the weekends? It's just kinda weird"


Hometime va va voom

No comments: