Monday, December 11, 2006

Hungry Eyes

This article is pretty crazy, I have heard of this shit before but to know that the numbers of operations are increasing makes me a little sad. Here is the article http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkyJmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MDMyMDg1

It talks about surgery that asians are getting done that enlarges their eyes so they appear more caucasian. Though lots of the people say they are not doing it to reject their ethnicity or to look more white, I really can't see any argument that supports their claims. It appears to me that, that is exactly what this surgery does. It says that you are conforming to the western ideals of white beauty, transforming your natural ethnic look so that you can try and blend in to white society. Granted you will never blend completley so I have no idea why you would want this done.

One girls says it's easier to put make up on. Bullshit, that is not a reason to have your eyelids cut open and your eye reshaped. Even it does take an hour it's still a pretty big decision, something that I think should not be based on how hard it is to apply make up on your Asian eyes. Now I am not a girl so perhaps this issue of applying eye makeup traumatizes asian women every morning forcing them to think to themselves damn it if only I had white eyes I could apply this so much easier and truly love myself. I really don't think this happens, I think that you are insecure with your identity and are trying to look like these images that are flashed at you when you watch the makeup commercials. It's not that you have trouble applying the makeup its that you don't look like the people that are selling the makeup.

Well listen to me, and realize that you are who you are. A comestic operation is not what is neccessary for you to feel better. Trying to morph into something you are not will not help you. What you need to do is realize that you are a beautiful person regardless of what society tells you. Ignore the fucking fashion magazines, stop watching entertainment tonight, shut your ears to the garbage you are fed on a daily basis. Realize that this society caters to a certain person and perhaps you are not that person. Not being this person should not lead you to try and transform into this person. It should make you realize that you do not have to play by their rules. I guarantee that you can find someone who will love you for you for you, who will treasure you regardless of ethnicity, someone who doesn't care about your eye size for god's sake. Now I know that you think you are getting this operation for yourself, for your own self esteem and self worth, but realize that you are not doing it just for you. You are being influenced by countless things, bombarded by popular culture, nudged by the media. Do you think you would even have an issue with your eyes if you didn't care what other people thought of you or what you percieved them to think of you. If someone, even yourself thinks that you would be a better person with bigger eyes, then they are fucking douchebag. How does eye size equate to self worth, to importance, to self esteem? It only does if you allow yourself to buy into these idealized notions of white beauty. Beauty is not an annorexic white chick draped in name brand designers. Beauty is when you are comfortable with yourself, when you are free from the bullshit of society. When you can look in the mirror and be happy with yourself. Filter out those voices, those ones hawking make-up, those skeletons draped with skin, waving you forward, their gigantic eyes dissecting you and making you feel inferior. Beauty is self confidence.

This isn't like the blonde haired asian chicks, this is physical alteration. Though you say it isn't, it is trying to erase your ethnicity. It's sad, it's unneccessary, it's angering. If I was black I would have the same problem with the skin bleaching. Just leave yourself alone. I actually do have a problem with blonde asians, but it's not even close to the intensity of my problem with this surgery. You remember when small feet were in? Was that beautiful or dumb? At the time it was beautiful, they were confined to chairs not even able to walk because of their deformed feet. I know this is not as drastic, but the point I am trying to make is that beauty is subjective, it is a percieved notion, it is transformed by culture and society. What I am saying, and have been reapetedly trying to hammer home, is that it is all a game that you don't have to play. Your self worth should not be based on the size of your eyes. I think asian girls are hot, if I saw an asian with freakishly enlarged eyes like you just jumped out of a god damn anime I would run the other way. Just stop comparing yourself to people you can't be, look in the mirror and accept who you are. If you are able to do this you will be much more happy than if you have your eyes enlarged. Or maybe not, what do I know? Does anyone else think this is weird and unneccessary?

Update: Here are some pics, though they may not be as drastic as I thought they would be, I still don't think it's neccessary, just keep it real son!! Just do you, naw mean!!!

Top: Before Bottom: After



Top: Before Bottom: After



Okay actually, this one kinda scare me, I think he looks much better in the before, Please don't do get this done. I love my asian eyes.

No comments: