Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I went to the Doze Green and Dave Ellis show, on Thursday at 5024SF.

This was made by Dave Ellis, it is a beat making owl, played it's own beat with paint cans, bottles and stuff inside the owl.


Most of the pieces were painted by Doze, except for like one collabo piece. Dave Ellis is a founder of the legendary barnstormers and a well respected painter and sculptor. He has shown in numerous museums and galleries. He is a well respected contemporary artist and a pioneer in the art world. He is also very nice and unassuming in person.

Doze prices are insane but his work is even crazier. Doze was the first artist that I saw and immediately thought, "That's what art should look like."

Doze came up doing Graff with the Rocksteady crew in NY. He is an originator, a legend and one of the most successful graff artists to turn to canvas.

These were mostly studies and sketches, but even these were like $5,000.

I have watched him do some of his figures in a video and a lot of it is done with one line. There is a cleanliness of form and a fluidity to the pieces that comes through and I think it can be largely attributed to a background in graffiti.

The show was cool, me and a friend actually went to go help out with the installation. My friend worked on that owl I barely helped with the meteor you can see in a later picture.

One of my favorite pieces.

Not one of my favorites, it's the trunk, not feeling it.

I guess there was so much work at this show they didn't even have space for all of Doze's paintings. There were like 3 or 4 that weren't even up in the gallery. One of them was my favorite piece from his solo show at the Jonathan Levine gallery in NYC. I should have asked to see it. Below is the meteor I helped build. I barely laid the top pieces on after fixing the frame of it though. It was nowhere near complete when I left after my one day of helping.





It was a great show, go check it out. 5024SF in San Francisco.

No comments: